Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Dark Libraries and uppity wizard boy

I was having one of those moments where I was so lost in my head I'd somehow gotten from the Fairy Queen...to dancing...to rabbits....to luck...to holes and before I knew it, in the real world I'd run smack into something that was very much not a library bookshelf.    It was a person with a disconcertingly inviting chest  and... I looked up and froze in that "I'm just going to stand here staring like an awkward stone statue" mode that you can't break out of no matter how much you realize you're doing it.  It was Flynn.   In the process of my staring I gave up trying to find something wrong with him.   My mother had made it very clear I wasn't the kind of girl boys liked, and frankly I wasn't really into the kind of "liking" she did, so I hadn't wasted much time thinking about members of the opposite sex.  But I probably would have if they all looked like this darn uppity wizard I'd just smacked into like a lost blind mouse. 

I wanted to be that cool girl.  The one who was brilliant and in charge and not like those "other" girls, even though at this moment my body was betraying me entirely by imagining what it would be like to be kissed by him.  Kissed by him! 

Really, it was too galling!  Despised was a mild description of how he seemed to feel about me, and I desperately wanted to cling to the higher moral ground here.  I hadn't done anything, and yet here he was smoldering at me like he wanted consume me.  All of the sudden I noticed that we were in a very abandoned and quiet section full of Gothic books and Greek scribblings.   A shiver ran down my spine... I gulped.   Don't look at his eyes again, I told myself, don't look at his eyes. That was my undoing right there, of course when I'd finally ripped my eyes off of his, I had to try very hard not to notice how full his lips were. 

"You want this but you aren't getting it.'  He said, putting his hand on the shelf above my head.  His head lowered until his lips were barely inches from mine.   That magic...or spell...or potion or whatever I'd felt earlier, ripped through me again. 

Breathe.  Just breathe.

I flushed.  "That's fine."  I said chasing down and flagging my inner cool girl and forcing her into service.   He was probably used to being in salaciously dark corners of the library with girls, and I was the only one here who was hanging onto my wits by a thread. 

"It won't work on me."  He whispered into my ear. 

I had no idea what he was talking about. 

"You can play your little shenanigans with everyone else, but just know that I'm completely immune." He said, all smirky and smouldery and way way too hot.

I nodded.  I had no idea what he was talking about, but I believed him... I definitely believed him.  

He turned to leave, and my brain got a small fart of clear headedness.  Wait.  I grabbed his arm.   "Why am I here then?" I asked.  "If I'm really so evil, then why not just have me dismissed?"

I had to know.   If I was going to have stones for breakfast, room with a vampire and roll around in Cyclop salivia then I wanted to know if I was going to get sent home in a hairs breadth because Flynn and who knows who else had this idea I was some sort of sinister fakester. 

"Because it wouldn't be fair."  Flynn said. He folded his arms, surveying me. "I would never dismiss decent magic if it's the real thing."  It was almost as if he was daring me to prove him wrong. 

"What other kind of magic would I do?" I asked.  Unless he was accusing me of dark magic.

"Indeed."  He said, giving me a hard stare.  And with that he turned on his heel and walked away without a backwards glance.  I watched his black robe billowing around his tall body as he disappeared around a corner.   I finally breathed for what felt like the first time in way too long.  

Yeah, Christina could have the advanced spell tutelage if we won...  I didn't care at all.  Right?  Right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment